Monday 4 July 2011

Brown rice and cashews




Are you one of those people who refuses to eat brown rice? I confess that I have been for a long time. Of course I know how  good brown rice is for me- you read about it and see it in books all the time- but it just hasn't ever done it for me. I find it tastes bland, dull, stodgy and just not appetising.

You've probably heard the term 'wholegrains' mentioned a lot recently- all the advertising campaigns are onto it, telling us how good they are for us. Brown rice is one of those wholegrains. Why? Simply because it is an unrefined grain. The fact is that white rice looks just the same as brown rice before it has been refined and processed which essentially means the hull and bran is removed from the grain. This in turn makes it cleaner looking, better tasting and a huge plus for Western society- it becomes quicker to cook.



So what's so important about the hull and the bran? Well they of course contain all the good bits we need- including fibre, protein, magnessium, calcium and potassium. Fibre is a super agent for our digestive system, and protein will keep us fuller for longer. There are just simply too many reasons why we should try include more wholegrains- including brown rice- into our diets.

But I find that pretty tough to do when I actually cringe at a  certain food I don't enjoy. So you can imagine my excitement when I got to try this dish. Because it is delicious! A great friend of mine brought it to a summer BBQ- and I couldn't get enough of it- along with everyone else. And I couldn't believe it was brown rice! I had to have the recipe- and I was fortunate enough to snavel it by the end of the week after somewhat begging...



Personally (bringing up my pet hate for brown rice again) I think this is so great because the flavours of the brown rice are hidden under the gorgeous dressing. Winner. It's good for you- it look's appetising- and it's a hit at any table. 

Although I was introduced to it at a summer BBQ- I've found it to be a real charm during the colder weather. I like to eat it straight after its cooked, so it's still warm. Eat on its own, or serve with a gorgeous piece of grilled chicken and a wedge of lemon. Yum. 





Do you dislike brown rice too? Or may be you're one of those people who love it? Let me know and please share any winner brown rice recipes with me. The more I have the better- as this is usually my one and only brown rice intake.


Get This
3 cups brown rice
1 red onion (or 4 spring onions)
1 green or red capsicum
1 cup corn kernels
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large clove purple garlic
1 lemon
1/4 cup soy sauce
Salt and pepper
Handful of roasted cashews

Cook Now
First cook the rice. I use a 1 to 1.5 rice/water ratio for brown rice. So for 3 cups brown rice, cook it in 4.5 cups water. Be careful however, the last thing you want in this recipe is overcooked gluggy rice- so watch it.


Meanwhile chop the onions finely and the capsicum into 1cm pieces. Add to a bowl with the corn and set aside. Make the dressing by adding the wet ingredients, the juice from the lemon and the crushed garlic clove and set aside.


When the rice is cooked, add the dressing immediately. By adding the dressing whilst the rice is warm, it will absorb the flavours fantastically. Stir through the vegetables and then the parsley. Season to taste. Lastly sprinkle with the cashews. So good for you- get in there!
Serves 6-8




3 comments:

  1. Yummo! I'll give this recipe a go for sure xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks delicious! i stopped eating rice altgother but when i do i eat tiny white rice (its not worth me cooking up a pot of brown rice as i wont finish it.. but this looks great im going to bookmark it thank you for sharing and im so sorry to hear abt your nan xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind words. But it truly is a good dish to put up at gatherings- so yes keep it in mind :)

    And Em- good work, let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete