Sunday 14 August 2011

Ban Live Export & RSPCA Vanilla and Pink Frosting Cupcakes




Today was the day- Australians final chance to be the voice for our animals. I was there, amongst the hundreds of others who turned out to the National 'Ban Live Export Rally' on Parliament Lawns in Hobart today. I was most moved buy the number of people, and also by the number of children. It's uplifting to know that children are being raised aware of animal welfare. They were holding the cutest signs which said 'Treat animals kindly'. So simple really isn't it.

I could go on and on about my views on this topic- but I don't want my blog to be a preaching page. If you are interested however- head along to the Animals Australia web page for all the facts or feel free to contact me or leave a comment. 



Cast your vote against live exports at BanLiveExport.com

The RSPCA have been a huge supporter of The Ban to Live Export also, having helped launch the large advertising campaign with the release of the above advertisement. I'm always asking myself what can I do to help? Well it turns out that tomorrow, Monday 15th August is RSPCA Cupcake Day! 

So in honour of that I headed straight home after the rally to make cupcakes! I was excited at the thought of it, and also a little nervous, as sweets aren't my strong point, but I gave it a good shot- and I must say they turned out to be quite yummy. 

I used a basic vanilla cupcake mixture which I sourced from the classic and never fail Australian Women's Weekly Cook Book. I then  went to one of my favourite blogs, Cannelle et Vanille for ideas on gorgeous presentation. I used her recipe for a wonderful vanilla butter cream frosting. Unfortunately mine don't look anywhere near as elegant, but for a first attempt I was happy.



I will be taking these little numbers into the office tomorrow and selling them, with all monies going directly to the RSPCA. The RSPCA continue to inspire me and I am so glad we have these organisations in Australia looking out for the welfare of our animals. 


A final big thank you to the woman who has inspired me beyond disbelief- Lynn White. She opened our eyes to the horrible practices of slaughter houses in Indonesia where our animals are being sent. It takes such a strong woman to have done what she did. Words alone really can not express how amazing she is. Another huge thank you to Andrew Wilkie, Hobart's Independant Federal Member. He will be the animals voice on Thursday in Canberra when a decision is made on Live Animal Export. Head along to his website the read his recent speeches on the topic.


Get This
Cake Batter-
125g unsalted butter
1 vanilla bean
2/3 cup caster sugar
3 free range eggs
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
1/4 cup milk


Pink frosting-
150g egg whites (about 4 eggs)
300g caster sugar
450g unsalted butter
1 vanilla bean
Pink food colouring


Cook Now
First make the cake batter by beating together the eggs, sugar and butter. Add flour, milk and continue to beat until smooth. Cut the vanilla bean in half and scrape out the seeds, add to the batter and mix well. 
Place cupcake patty cups into a muffin tray. Fill each with a tablespoon of the batter. Cook in a 180 degree oven for 20 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool. 


For the frosting, add sugar and egg whites in a heatproof bowl. Sit over a water bath until the sugar is disolved. Beat with an electric beater until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the butter, a tablespoon at a time. Add the seeds from the vanilla bean and a few drops of colouring. 
Transfer frosting to a piping bag and pipe onto the cooled cupcakes. Place in refrigerator until ready to eat. 
Makes 15






No comments:

Post a Comment